Minimize Air Exposure and Handling Time
- Why it matters?
- Fish use a lot of energy and oxygen during the fight, which needs to be replenished in order to fully recover.
- Fish are unable to breathe out of the water and need oxygenated water running over their gills in order to breathe.
- What to do?
- Only hold a fish out of water for as long as you can hold your breath.
- If a fish is not showing signs of barotrauma, use a dehooking device to quickly release the fish over the water.
- If you plan to take a picture, have a camera ready prior to pulling the fish out of the water.
- If a fish is gut hooked, cut the line and get the fish back in the water quickly.